That gave me time to go to Boulder and get a key for threemeninaboat's bike locker at the train station, the first locker reserved on the open-next-week line, and then physically verify the key's function, while also verifying that the lock does not in fact work on the door latch mechanism they've provided.
I also spent some time installing lock hardware on doors, because several of the doors have never had the right keys in the whole time we've lived here and when someone locks one of those doors it can be a serious hassle to get back through it.
This led to the discovery that there is no door sweep on the door between the garage and the house. There's a 10mm wide gap beneath it. That's about the same size gap between the garage door and the concrete.
No wonder we have a mouse problem.
I never thought to check, because the previous owners had carefully installed double-layer seals all the way around the door, as they did on every other one, to help prevent mice getting in.
It now has a nice custom-sawn piece of redwood that exactly fits in the space. Tomorrow that'll get bolted in place on the bottom of the door, when I have the energy to take the door off its hinges, and I'll put a commercial adjustable sweep behind it to air seal it as well as mouse sealing it.
As I was working on getting the parts together to fix this, I noticed the garage door opener no longer closes correctly.
This house needs some burnin' down.
This entry was originally posted at https://randomdreams.dreamwidth.org/63623.html. Please comment there using OpenID.